The first thing that comes to mind when you think about Vitamin D is SUNSHINE. 🙂
Here is what I want you to know about Vitamin D:
Vitamin D is found in 2 forms. Vitamin D2 (Ergocalciferol) is made by plants. You can find it in foods that have been fortified, such as juices, milk, or cereals (not really the best source). However, Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol), the most complete form of Vitamin D, is made when the skin is exposed to sun.
It has been shown that if you spend 20-30 mins a day with a naked torso in the sun you will get the required sunlight amount needed to convert to Vitamin D, however in today’s busy world who has time to sit in the sun every single day 365 days a year for 20-30 mins??? In my view not very realistic…Of course nature is your best bet for Vitamin D and you can include foods in your diet that contain vitamin D, like fish ( salmon is good), cod liver oil, milk, eggs, fresh fruits, and vegetables will also help. Unfortunately, most of us cannot get enough Vitamin D through food sources or sun exposure. :(:(
It is estimated that up to 2/3 of the population is Vitamin D deficient and needs to take a Vitamin D3 supplement. Keep in mind that it is a fat-soluble vitamin and should be taken with a meal for the best absorption possible. We are also seeing through mounds of research that the actual level of Vitamin D required for OPTIMAL health is much higher than first thought.
So what are some of the benefits?
- Bone Health – Vitamin D aids in the absorption and metabolism of calcium and phosphorous
- Increases bone density & helps decrease fractures
- Helps to prevent osteoporosis
- Enhances the immune system, lowering the incidence of colds or flu
- Lowers incidence of cancer & rheumatoid arthritis
- Controls hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Aids in heart/cardiovascular health, preventing premature death
- Reduces inflammation
- Prevention against diabetes, autoimmune diseases, & multiple sclerosis
- Eases muscle aches & fibromyalgia symptoms
Improves serotonin levels, thus aiding the control of depression
- Helps control appetite and even improves fat-loss efforts!!
As you can see, Vitamin D is absolutely necessary for good health & the list of benefits just keeps on GROWING. I supplement my entire family most of the year, my favourite brand is Usana’s Vitamin D with each tiny tablet containing 2000 iu of Vitamin D3, if you would like any info on this please let me know….